Due to the troubled economic climate, most people have made efforts to cut down on their personal expenses. This has led to more people shopping for better deals. One area that has seen an increase in business is the sale of used cars. When selling a used car, one has to make sure that it will be attractive to potential buyers and that it will sell close to its retail value. There are a number of things you have to do to show buyers that your used car is a worthwhile investment.
Below are a number of tips on how to sell used cars:
1. First impressions will either result in a sale or turn potential buyers away. It is important that you prepare to sell your used car. You need to make it look as good as new. Check the exterior all over for scratches, dents, rust, and chipped paint. Fix and paint any bad spots. Use a scratch remover for small scratches. Scratches can be sanded and have a coat of paint applied. As well, check your tires to see if the treads are worn and if they are leaking air. You should replace any worn tires. Once you have repaired any damage, thoroughly wash the exterior and wax it.
2. Prepare the interior of the car. Check the upholstery for any tears and repair them. Get rid of any garbage. Vacuum the inside of the car, including the air vents and crevices. Use a mild cleaning agent to clean the interior. Make sure you clean any stains and check the floors to see if there are any holes that need to be filled.
3. Check for any missing or broken parts such as the rearview mirror, stereo knobs, lights, windshield wipers, ashtrays trim, broken seatbelts…etc. Repair or replace items that are broken or missing.
4. Take your car for a test drive. Listen for any unusual sounds such as a loud muffler, transmission jumping gears, or squeaky breaks. If you hear anything, get a mechanic to exam the car. As well, look under the car for any unusual leaks. Check under the hood for any problems such as a corroded battery. Make sure all of the fluids are full.
5. When determining the price of the car, check to see what the most popular cars are. As well, note the mileage of the car. A car with high mileage will sell for less. Check the Kelly Blue Book to determine the value of the car so you are offering a fair price. There are also a variety of online car sites where you can compare prices of cars. You can also do this online by comparing vehicles at a variety of car websites. The price you choose should reflect the history of its reliability, the make/model/year, condition of the car, and the mileage.
6. Make sure you have all of the important documents such as the car‘s registration, title to the car, record of maintenance, inspection papers, warranties, and record of replacement parts. You can also obtain a CARFAX Vehicle History Reports to show potential buyers that you are not hiding anything.
Perception is everything when selling a used car. It is important to take the time to make the car look as good as new and be honest with potential buyers. It will greatly increase the likelihood that you get the price you want for the used car.